Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Costuming!

Reel One: My summer class is wrapping up this week. Today was "costume presentation day." We worked extensively with Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream - you can't beat that play for a quick session. It's light, funny, and fun to work with. We "broke the back" of the language and then their eyes began to light up. So for this project, they had to choose to design one costume for either Titania or Nick Bottom. I provided them with a number of time period to choose from and then they were off to the races! They were to provide a sketch, fabric swatches, and a written report. I finished looking through them a little bit ago and I must say, they did a great job on this project! They thought about color symbolism, fabric weight, and how clothes can be a reflection of the inner life of the character, including personality traits. It's always a fun assignment - this class was no exception.

Reel Two: Costumes were always a lively part of Buffy so it's especially interesting that over at the Rewatch, we see (wait for it) Buffy's yummy sushi pajamas! It's a nice trio of episodes and Riley begins to get some depth. Great guest bloggers this week, too. Check it out.

Coming Soon: My summer class will wrap up tomorrow and, while I have hours to put in over the next five weeks, I'll finally have time to complete a draft for a project I've been trying to shoehorn in recently. It'll be wonderful to be able to sit down and work on the edits for chunks of time that are longer than 10 minutes at a go! I'll let you know what's happening with that - I hope to have it off to the editors in the next ten days or so.

No comments: