Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Walter White Wednesday 21

The premiere of the first half of Season 5 is only a few days away and you can bet that next week's "Walter White Wednesday" will focus on the first episode, which AMC has revealed is titled "Live Free or Die."  Wonder what we should make of that title?  At the end of Season 4 Walt seemed to think he had "won," but I'm not at all sure about that.  Drug cartels, much like nature, abhor a vacuum, and with the end of Gus and Hector, there's a distinct blank space in the cartel structure.  Walt wants money, power, and prestige and he's shown a willingness to kill to get what he wants.

Then again, Gilligan has taught me to not assume much of anything in this show.  He's a twisty as they come.  Too curious to wait?  Then check out this "what you might expect in Season 5" video from AMC.

In the meantime, I'm up in Vancouver enjoying the Fifth Biennial Slayage Conference on the Whedonverses. New material for this conference includes presentations on The Cabin in the Woods, Avengers, and the comic Sugarshock.  I'm scheduled for Friday and I'll be talking about space Westerns and how Firefly owes a "thank you" to Watanabe's anime Cowboy Bebop. So much has been written about Whedon's works - it's by far the most popular television series to get the academic treatment - but Whedon's comic work is not discussed as much as his TV/film work, so I'm especially looking forward to hearing more about his run on X-Men (Kitty Pryde was a model for Buffy Summers, BTW) and the continuation of Buffy in comic form.  In the past, I've blogged about the conference as it was going on, but this time, I've decided to save up the commentary for afterward and spend more time with actual live people.  But I can tell you this much.

There are going to be puppets.  And a sing-along.  And probably a sing-along with puppets.

Oh, I know - this makes it sound like we're not Serious Scholars, but trust me.  These people are scary-super-smart and the Slayage conference is one time in two years where puppets and enthusiasm don't need to be accompanied by an apology.  So I'm going to go blow off some steam with like-minded individuals and come back refreshed and recharged.

Onward!




No comments: