Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Plans!

Halloween is the traditional time of the year for scares and chills. While I have a liking for the classic Universal horror movies (really, Bride of Frankenstein is just fantastic) and a soft spot in my heart for the "jump scare" as exemplified in the psychological thriller Cat People (the original, please - the one with Simone Simon and the creepy shadows in the pool), I understand that other people have other likes. So - a quick list of favorites, followed by "things that will guarantee I don't see that movie" followed by a quick list of "well, I'll try that" and an invitation if you happen to be near my hometown.

A few Halloween favorites:

  • The aforementioned Bride & Cat People
  • Nosferatu
  • The Crow (only the first one)

OK - movies that feature the following are right out:

  • Maniacal toy monkeys banging cymbals together (seriously creepy)
  • Possessed dolls (yeah, I wouldn't get near the new release Annabelle - really, you couldn't tell there was something off about that so-called toy??)
  • People just being flat-out awful to each other - I don't get (truly do not get) the appeal of the Hostel movies

On the other hand, I'll try:

  • Monster movies (were-creatures, vampires, hauntings, etc.)
  • Silly "it came from outer space!" flicks (I'll include irradiated critters in this category)
  • Psychological horror, including demonic possession as a theme

So there's a lot I'll try and I have to admit to really enjoying this season of American Horror Story with its gracious nods to Tod Browning's Freaks.

And I'm trying something new this Thursday! A local venue, the Don Gibson Theater, features classic movies for super-cheap on Thursday nights - the line up for November is especially impressive and more about that soon! This week, they're showing their first "R" rated movie (their classics are usually from before the modern MPAA came around in 1968) and it's a fun one. Come out and see 1984's A Nightmare on Elm Street on the big screen! You can't find a better deal - tickets are a paltry $2, and another three gets you popcorn and a drink. Really - you can't beat that deal with a book written in Latin and a two-ended stick! Showtime is at 7 pm, which gives you plenty of time to get home safely before the ghouls come out!

Hope to see you there!

No comments: